First off, very disappointed that it's a major PITA to install a Razer Megalodon on a Windows 7 machine. If you've found this post, you're probably in the same boat as I was. You may have found the Razer support page which claims to fix the problem, but clicking on the firmware update link at the bottom of the page leads to a 404. You may even have tried the Youtube video to follow along, but noticed the comment from @cultofrazer that says "We've removed the file as we are currently developing a new firmware updater for the Razer Megalodon. We anticipate the updater to be released toward the end of February."
Well it's mid-April and there still isn't an update from Razer. However, I successfully installed the Razer Megalodon on my Windows 7 machine using the following process:
- Download the 2.12 firmware update; Razer keeps on deleting the file from their website and I keep on finding other locations. Let me know if the previous link leads to a 404 and I'll find a new one.
- Plug in the headset to a USB port, go to Control Panel -> System and click device manager. Open up Sound, video and game controllers, select Razer Megalodon, and uninstall
- Unplug the headset and run the 2.12 firmware update executable.
- Next, and this is important, plug the headset into an obscure USB port that you'll never use again. Windows will install the driver.
- Unplug the headset and plug it into the USB port you will always use; make sure you always plug the headset into this port, otherwise you may have problems and need to go through the process again.
- Finally, go to Control Panel -> Sounds and you'll see "Speakers 4-Razer Megalodon". Click the device and select "Set Default Device".
Hope this helps, let me know if it works for you!